Well,
as some of you may know, Nick and I have been trying to conceive for almost a
year. We kept it pretty low key for the first half of our attempt at
parenthood. Admittedly, I was impatient from the get go. As you have noticed,
I've been a little more vocal about it as time has progressed.
I
have wanted this ever since I was a little girl. I remember that many of my
friends wanted to be the, "baby" while we played house. This was just
fine with me! I guess the role of a mother has always been within me.
Everyone
has his or her story. This isn't a pity party, rather my outlet. Every woman is
different. Some women would rather not share anything about this part of her
life. Others may find healing in talking to everyone. I have now found my happy
medium. I figure the people that are most important and/or that care the most
will check out my blog- I'm sharing this with the people that I would share it
with if I were back in Lincoln talking face to face about an issue that was on
my mind.
This
hasn't been easy for us. It actually has been quite tough. Some would argue
that we haven't been trying as long as some people out there. The fact of the
matter is, when you're ready to be parents, you're ready. Whether it takes
three months, three years, or three days (lucky jerks), it's a constant
disappointment until you get that positive pregnancy test! We never thought it
would be this hard. You are taught in high school that looking at each other
for too long would get you knocked up.
It's definitely a lot harder to get pregnant than you think! If you don't
believe me, check out the ten-part video on YouTube titled, The Great Sperm
Race. I promise you that it will be the best, most entertaining, and
educational sixty-minute video with a twist on baby making yet!
With that said...I
am NOT a baby Nazi. Do I get jealous? Of course. Do I wish it were me?
Certainly. Do I "hate the world" some days. Absolutely. I'm not ashamed.
With that said, it doesn't mean you can't talk about your kids, being pregnant,
or how badly you want a baby. Please do! The world doesn't stop because of our
bump in the road. I can't say that you won't catch me on one of those bad days
though! I am human. I do make mistakes. I am also rationale.
What
keeps me sane through this, is the one thing that has been my consistent rock
of love, true friendship, and peace for the last ten years of my life...Nick. I
remember it perfectly. I would have had a baby ten years ago if he would have
said the word. OK, not really but you know what I mean. I never wanted to push
the issue of a baby. Just like anything, Nick won't do something that he's not
ready for. It's the stubbornness that I sometimes truly admire about him. When
he told me he was ready in August, it was music to my ears. I remember
experiencing such an empowering feeling of joy within my body. This was it. We
were going to start our family! I was ready to set up an account for Babies R
Us and let the nursery planning begin!
Obviously...the
dream started to darken when we realized each month that something wasn't
right. Timing? Infertility? God's way of saying, "not yet." What? It
was the constant thought process in my head. Being around my students seemed to
be the only thing to keep my mind busy. If I wasn't at school, I was reading
online, Google-ing symptoms, researching fertility boosters, etc. While my mind
started going crazy, so did the lack of my filter. I began crying to everyone
that had babies, recently pregnant friends, etc. I just wanted answers, soon
realizing that there were none for now.
I
became bitter. Such a miserable person for about a month or two. My constant
argument with God was, "Why us? What did we do to deserve this? I'm a good
person! Nick's a good person! We made it through high school, we graduated from
college, we got married, and we have careers. We did everything "in
order", so why are we being punished? Why do people that desperately want
to become parents get punished? Why do I see so many women getting pregnant
around me that just don't deserve this? Why are abusive people blessed with
children? Why do drug addicts get to have children? We see now more than ever
what a blessing a child is. We have so much love to share, so why can't we
share that love with our own child?" I then started praying for peace of
mind, no longer a healthy baby. I just wanted to shut the idea of starting a
family off because it was consuming me. Nick was really worried about me. I was
worried about me. Nick had watched me cry and cry. He listened to me whine,
"You don't understand!" over and over. The poor guy took a beating
there for a couple months. I literally wanted the desire for children to turn
off, but I just couldn't do it. It got even harder when Nick started showing
signs of frustration and sharing his dream of being a father. I felt like a
failure as a woman. So...I just kept praying for peace because praying for a
baby "wasn't working."
Oddly
one morning after asking for some serenity, an unwelcome visitor came, and I
didn't cry. I. didn't. cry. This was huge for me! Nick was bracing himself for
a grouchy, raging wife. He was preparing to hear my rant of how all of this is
so unfair. I just took a deep breath and thought...our time will come. I suddenly realized that I was finding my
healthy balance. Sure I can be sad, even shed some tears, but it's time to
realize that life isn't always fair or
on our terms.
Life
wasn't fair when I had to work full time in high school because my parents were
barely hanging on. My parents worked damn hard to put food on the table to feed
all of us, even if we were all squeezed into that two-bedroom house. Life
wasn't fair when I had to grow up fast because my parents had to worry about
two of my siblings' drug addictions that tore our family apart. Life wasn't
fair when I stayed up countless nights, writing and fighting to stay in school
by filling out scholarships because I didn't come from a family that saved for
college. Life wasn't fair when Nick and I had to stress how to pay for our
wedding because we didn't have help like some others.
But
you know...I have great work ethic because my momma and daddy taught me what it
meant to work hard for your dollar. I learned to be thankful with what I have
because of that two-bedroom house. I've learned that money and materialistic
things really don't matter. Money helps...but you can't take it with you when
you're gone. I stayed away from the drugs, went to college, got out of Lincoln,
and followed my dreams because I saw what drug addiction could do to dreams. I
appreciated my education, never skipped class, and filled my brain full of
knowledge because I had to pay for it. It also made me appreciate my career
even more. I am so happy that I'll happily go to work every day. I also learned
what unconditional love and sacrifice meant when my mom and dad let bills slip
to wire me some cash for books, pay for some student teaching materials, etc.
And Nick and I had the most beautiful wedding than we had ever expected because
we put our own into it. We realized that in the end, all that mattered was that
two high school sweethearts, still crazy in love, were now man and wife.
So
to every sad story, to every pity party that I threw, to every time I
questioned God. To everything that I questioned in my life, I realized...it was
worth it. I am who I am today because of it. I am a better wife, one-day
mother, and teacher because of it. Anything great that has happened to us, has
been a result of hard work, disappointment, sometimes tears, but most of
all...always seeing the positive in everything.
I
have managed to constantly remember the things that "are working" in
my life. Us. We are happily married. We are in love. We are best friends.
Teaching. Any time someone asks me, "How's teaching goin?" I can't
help but smile ear to ear. My job means the world to me. I am truly lucky to be
doing what I'm doing. My mind. I've started realizing that I have a lot to
learn, but I'm pretty impressed with my way of thinking. I can be so irrational
at times, but I somehow (with the help of my darling husband) manage to talk
myself into a more positive approach to any situation. My family. Things are
still rocky here and there, but I have a good relationship with my mom and dad.
I am slowly working on things with my siblings, but overall I am happy. The
things in my family life aren't the best right now, but it could always be
worse. Nick's family back at home. What can I say? They've always been
wonderful, but just when I didn't think we could get any closer, we do. Nick's
mom has been so supportive. We were approved to buy a home! We're not rushing
things, but the fact that we were approved and with careful thought, we could
be homeowners, makes me smile and feel a sense of pride.
We
will begin the journey of testing for infertility. This is a very scary journey
to start, but I have faith that everything is going to work out. If there is
something medically wrong, I have faith that we're going to get through it.
I
have faith and hope that we'll one day get a phone call from school saying,
"Mr. and Mrs. Shehorn...Gavin was caught putting the class pet in his book
bag", or "Mrs. Shehorn, Josselyn cut a student's hair in art
today."
I
have faith that Nick's tough grizzly body, will melt into a teddy figure of
soft plush after holding his daughter for the first time. I have faith that I
will lecture "the boys" about tracking mud in the house after coming
in late for dinner after a day of fishing.
I
don't aspire to be rich, travel the world, or have it all. I just want to be
Nick's wife, a teacher, and a mother.
Our time will come...
No comments:
Post a Comment