I called the office soon after the spotting today to report it and just double check that I don't need to worry just yet. One of the nurse's told me that I shouldn't be too worried but would check with the doctor before anything. Dr. R told her to have me come in for the doppler to check on baby's heartbeat.
I drove to Moline and got in right away. Two nurses came in to help me find the heartbeat. I asked them, "Did doctor want me to come in, or is this for MY reassurance?" The girls smiled and one of them said, "It's more for you."
Oddly, it made me feel better. She obviously isn't too concerned but wants me to feel the same.
The first nurse asked me to point where baby was last time. They started there and nothing. She moved it around a good five minutes before asking the other nurse to try. She tried for another minute or so and nothing. I was fine in the beginning because they always tell me it make take some time to get it if trying before 12 weeks. I became nervous after two failed attempts. I immediately started praying in my head.
They told me they were going to bring the doctor in for her to try. If they couldn't find a heartbeat, they'd send me over the hospital for an ultrasound.
I ended up going into a different room because the doctor was frustrated with the doppler that the girls chose. She apparently liked hers better. I did too! The nurse's said that they should use a different once since I'm not quite twelve weeks yet.
Dr. R came in and immediately smiled. She must have noticed the apologetic look on my face because she said, "It's ok! If this is what we need to do for reassurance that baby is ok, then this is what we'll do. I'm sure I'll find the heartbeat."
She took a bit longer than last time but she found baby's heartbeat. I listened as silent tears streamed down my face. She said the baby must be farther back now because it was harder to pick up and not as loud, but strong indeed. In fact, while she was listening, I hear two "POWS!" and she smiled and said, "That was a kick."
She then told me she was excited for me to see next week's ultrasound. She said a twelve week scan is great. She said we'd see full arms and legs and baby would look like baby now.
She then had me sit up. She put her hand on my head, pulled me forward, and gave me a hug type deal. She then said, "Now I said this before....anything could happen, but it would be rare for you to lose this baby at this point. I want to do as much as I can to reassure you."
I smiled and told her that her confidence was very contagious. She does make me feel so much better. She told me to continue to take it easy. The bleeding could be old blood leaving the cervix because it's healing, the clot could be irritated and bleed a bit, or it could be blood from my cervix. She told me if it's bright red, she'd be a bit more worried. She told me she is confident that this will heal and pass.
All I know is that I'm thankful for one more day as this baby's mother.
Thank you again for praying with us. I know I get redundant about that, but prayers truly keep us strong!
No comments:
Post a Comment