Nick and I were watching my stomach roll, bulge, bounce, etc. I was waking up at night feeling him.
He dramatically changed this week. He stopped his show late on Sunday, gave me a couple movements on Monday, barely did anything Tuesday and Wednesday. It was completely different.
I have already figured out Gavin's "active periods." He is wiggly when I first wake up, at 5:45AM, again around lunch time 11:10AM, and after dinner around 7:30PM most nights. He wasn't showing off during his best moments.
I bawled my eyes out Wednesday night and decided to call on Thursday because I was so worried. I got the same information as always (which is great to get consistent information).
Starting at 24 weeks, they want movement daily- at least one movement a day. He had been moving maybe up to five times a day during this week that I could notice. Yes, more than one...but significantly decreased from the prior week.
By 28 weeks, I'm supposed to feel his movements at least ten times within an hour (during one of his typically active periods).
I tried my best to remember that rule of thumb, but I still wasn't feeling better by Thursday night. Gavin still wasn't doing much of anything.
On Friday, they had to call me to reschedule an ultrasound that I have the end of the month. They asked when I could do it and I told them the sooner the better because I was currently a mess anyway.
They ended telling me to call the nurse again because if I was that upset, I should make sure to tell them. I was directed to my nurse again and she said that if his movement had dropped that much then they wanted me in labor and delivery within the hour to check on him.
I left work an hour early (thanks to my supportive principal) and quickly hopped in the truck to get to the cities. I called Nick on the way so that he could meet me there since he already works in the cities.
We got there, they hooked me up the monitors, and he was kicking like crazy in the speaker yet I felt NOTHING. They were shocked. They told me an anterior placenta cushions his kicks but couldn't believe that I was feeling none of the huge speaker blowout kicks that they were hearing.
They confirmed with me having the anterior placenta, he has to be positioned just right for me to feel him. He moved to an unfavorable spot and that must be why I haven't felt him. They asked me how I was feeling. Even though I felt better, I explained that I had a doppler at home and could find his heartbeat but it still worried me why his movement was decreased. It's hard to tell if something is wrong or it's his positioning when I can't see him. They were very understanding and told me from the monitoring, baby is healthy as can be.
They did offer me an ultrasound to get extra reassurance. I was so thankful for that. I just wanted a professional to look at him to ensure everything was ok in there.
Gavin moved, had hiccups, showed signs of "breathing practice," etc. At one point he raised his hand to his face, showing five perfect little fingers. He's currently sitting on my cervix in breech position. His left shoulder and side are facing my belly button and his face is looking straight out my right hip.
By 28 weeks, I'm supposed to start my kick counts. Again, they want ten movements in his most active hour. I have a feeling I'll worry then too because I can't do accurate counts with the placenta being such a big cushion. My hope is that he'll get in a good position and stay there. If he's not, I guess I have no problem calling again for the reassurance.
I'm glad my son makes me look crazy. I hope he continues to do so. I always want him to make me look like a paranoid mother. He can continue to stay my healthy, growing little man and I'll keep doing my job to keep him safe.
We have about thirteen weeks to go. We love you baby boy. Your daddy and I can't wait to meet you!
![]() |
| Happy that baby is just fine and we're about ready to go! |

I had anterior placenta with Xavier and it was not easy in the beginning but by 28 weeks it will be way easier to feel him bouncing around in there cause he will have mire weight on him and be stronger than ever! Super cold stuff usually with get them to kick and stretch cause the instant cold will startle them. So happy to see all of your baby happiness! I'm so excited for you guys.
ReplyDelete- Mel Deilkes
Thanks for the reassurance Mel! I sure hope two weeks will make a big difference! I try and try with the cold water, oj, even some coffee and it doesn't work on this guy. He's stubborn ha! I'm looking forward to the next couple weeks. He did give me a bit more movement this morning so I'm super thankful for that!
Delete