A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...

A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...
And what a beautiful journey it is...

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Today's BIG Day Appointment= Faith, Hope, Happiness, Relief! :0)

Today was the big day. I met with Dr. Figge and his staff in Davenport, IA. I had heard nothing but good things about Dr. Figge and today confirmed the staff's greatness.

I am one to believe in "signs" and the oddest thing happened. As soon as I walked into the clinic, I started my period! (We think anyway.) This will be my first one since March 26th, so 60 days ago! To you, this may be too much info or odd to celebrate, but to me...it's everything! If this is indeed my period (waiting on lab work to see), my body is functioning in aspects where it wasn't functioning before.

It is rough on someone with PCOS because our bodies will never function 100% (there will always be the chance of the hormonal imbalance to cause issues), but with hard work, you can eliminate most symptoms. This thought of my body working incorrectly or not at all just makes me feel "not right", or "broken."

I cried in the bathroom because it just felt good for SOMETHING to go right with my body!

Once I arrived to the clinic, I was checked in quickly and seated. There were two other couples there. I had my mom and my oldest sister. Nick only gets three days to take off. I don't want him using days off work unless he absolutely has to. As I was watching the couples, my heart smiled. I wasn't happy that they shared the same common issue of infertility, but I was happy because they seemed so connected. So close. Many could argue that this situation could tear a marriage apart, and I could see how in a few reasons, but really, this experience has brought us closer together. Nick has been ridiculously amazing throughout the journey. I didn't know each couples' exact problem, but I knew we'd all share something in common- an appreciation for good doctors, listeners, and one day, our children.

We were soon called back. They did the usual blood pressure and weight (which is looking even better) and sent me to the room with my "crew." The nurse came in and was WONDERFUL! She drew pictures, put things into easy to understand terms, threw in some humor, gave me a tissue for my tears, and educated me.

Doctor Figge then came in and did the same.

To sum it up, they basically said I will be just fine! They're more worried about the health aspects of PCOS (diabetes, heart disease, etc.) They told me with help, the infertility part can be helped to increase our chances.

I am now upping my dose of Metformin. Today I started 1,00mg at once. I have to continue this daily until I have finished the bottle Dr. Lang gave me. Once his bottle is gone, I will take their bottle. Their Metformin is the extended-release capsule. This will help with symptoms I may experience (bathroom issues, nausea, mood swings, etc.) Their dosage instruction is to take three tablets at once (1,500mg) after supper/daily.

I was also put on Clomid. Clomid is a fertility drug that "fools" the brain into sensing that female hormone levels are low and therefore the brain centers controlling reproductive hormones produce more of their hormones to stimulate the ovaries, forcing ovulation. There are no studies that show this can cause birth defects, etc, however, THIS DOES INCREASE OUR CHANCE OF MULTIPLES! I smiled at first, because of course, I'd love to have multiples now that I know it's harder for us to conceive, but having multiples could always increase the chance of complications. This is something we will have to pray about later (if I get pregnant). I start this pill on day three of my cycle. I don't know if I'm having a period right now or not. The blood test I took today should let me know. If I did start today, then THIS Saturday would be my first dose of Clomid. If this isn't my period, I think I will still be encouraged to start it. Dr. Figge and the paperwork shared that most women that do get pregnant, become pregnant in 3-4 months! :0) I am not going to give my hopes up, but it did make me smile.

If I don't become pregnant in a few months, they will be checking other things, like my tubes. Dr. Figge shared that as of right now, there's no reason to suspect anything else is wrong with me. He wants to start here first, and see what happens. I would fall over if this is all that we needed to become parents!

Nick is being tested as well. They want to make sure that there are no issues with Nick. He has to give them a sample at his earliest convenience and they'll test for quantity, motility, and quality. IF Nick has an "off" sperm count, we are not to worry. Dr. Figge said medicine can fix this and if it doesn't, there are other options.

Today was a successful and hopeful day. I look forward to seeing where God is going to take us.

I think that's it for today. I'll post later on the status of today's blood work. Please continue to pray for us. We appreciate all the thoughts, prayers, and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment