A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...

A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...
And what a beautiful journey it is...

Friday, September 21, 2012

God Has Answered Our Prayer: We're Going to Have a Baby!

I woke up at 5:00 this morning, after only sleeping a couple hours. I took a pregnancy test to make sure last night wasn't a dream. I still had the same shock, heart-filled happiness, and thankfulness run through my body. Seeing the flashing "Pregnant" in the window of that test was the most overwhelming feeling of joy. I can't even find the words for this. All I can do is what I have been doing- praying.

After I got out of the shower this morning, I didn't get dressed, I didn't jump on the computer, I didn't eat. I walked to our bed, got down on my knees, and prayed. I cried through my, "Thank you God. Thank you. Thank you for blessing us with this baby. We are forever grateful. We will try and be the best parents we can be. We will continue to put you more and more in our life. Please keep our baby safe and healthy. Please watch over us and keep us healthy." This is all I could say. I have always been able to talk to God about this, but I just melted this morning.

Many of you have been messaging us, calling, texting, etc. We feel so loved with the pouring support. We love you more than you know. I decided to take last night to just let it soak in. It still hasn't, but I wanted to appreciate last night. After the phone calls, mass texts, and decision to post into the social media world, it was time to take time to appreciate this blessing. It was time to look at each other and appreciate the support we've had with each other through all of this.

Last night, I was given the best news of my life. Life would now be complete. I have a loving, incredible husband, the best job in the world, and now the start of a family. I was about two days late for my period. I had already been told my my acupuncturist that she thought I MAY be pregnant (two weeks ago) but the pulse wasn't strong enough to confirm. I went to her last week and she said it was still strong and I may be, but she would like for it to be more "slippery" so she said her answer was not pregnant. We accepted it.

Yesterday was the most ironic day. Ever. I was talking with teachers about our journey. One of the teachers had gone through this and it was all too familiar with her. She actually had to go through IVF. She now has two adorable children. She also just found out she was pregnant- on their own! We talked about the roller coaster emotions, the money, the time, the upset, the hope, the medication, the blood work, the list of doctors, etc. We talked about the adoption packet that Nick and I had just received in the mail.

I told them I was two days late and no symptoms of being pregnant or having a period. I was bummed because I figured PCOS was taking over again and keeping me from ovulating and having a period. I was happy to be a few days late because this meant I'd not have to worry about doing the IUI next weekend, the weekend of my best friend's wedding. I literally said, "I think God answered my prayer to delay my period so that I wouldn't have the stress of trying to do both. I'm ok with that, but I don't want another 66 day cycle!"

I called Dr. Figge during my lunch. His nursing staff said we could just run a blood test since the pregnancy test I had taken two days earlier was negative. She said chances are that I wasn't pregnant, but we had to make sure. They also planned on doing a progesterone level check to see how close I was to having a period. If they felt it wasn't going to come, I was going to be given drugs to force a period so that we could start more fertility drugs with our artificial insemination (IUI).

I wasn't even excited about the blood test. I figured it wouldn't be good news. I took my time after work, met with a parent, and almost backed out of going to the lab because I was just tired and didn't want blood taken. It had to of been the 25th time or more ha!

I arrived to the lab, chatted with the staff, etc. I'm a regular there. They all said, "Hey, this could be it!" I laughed it off. The lady that took my blood was one I hadn't worked for. She told me, "Just relax! It will happen." I rolled my eyes and said, "Unless there's a medical reason, then you have to be fixed for it to happen. I'm not fixed!" I was almost irritated. She apologized and said to call her in three hours.

I hopped in the truck and took a picture of my bandage. Subconsciously I was thinking, "I should take a picture in case this is my last blood draw for the not fun stuff. Next time, it will be taken because I'm in labor!" And that is why I took it. I don't know why, but after I took that picture I had a weird feeling in my stomach.

I got home and started on schoolwork. Nick was sitting next to me on the couch. We were both in no hurry about the call. Two hours had gone by and my cell phone rang. I answered and a woman said, "Lyndsey?" I replied, "Yes, hi!" She then said, "Hi honey, it's Kris from the lab. (My heart dropped because I was supposed to call her in three hours. She was calling me.) I have you on speaker...because the staff wanted to hear you when I say, "YOU'RE PREGNANT!"

As soon as I heard those words, I jumped up in a panic. "WHAT! Are you SURE? How?! You're positive!? I'm pregnant? US? Me?"

I could hear her laughing and the staff in the background. Kris then said, "Yes honey! We ran three tests and all three confirmed that you are pregnant kiddo!"

I screamed. She told me to hang up, hug my husband, and celebrate. We did just that. Nick and I held each other. We cried. I kept saying, "Oh my God! We're having a baby! Thank you God!" Nick couldn't stop laughing. He held me and just laughed and laughed.

We told my parents first, then Nick's mom, our siblings and grandparents, etc.

I called the emergency line for Dr. Figge (you call to have a procedure so they're on call). Allie was shocked! She's one of my favorite nurses there. She said, "Congratulations Lyndsey, what a crazy story!" She told me that the fertility drugs could stay in my system for 45 days. She thinks the Clomid was still in my system and helped! I want to give credit to God of course and my acupuncturist for healing me.

I have a list of directions now. I will go in for another Beta on Monday. My Beta was 31 last night.That is good! Anything over 10 is pregnant. The lab tech told me I'm about five days pregnant. Allie told me to have another beta on Monday to make sure the baby is growing and on track. If it's growing, she said not to worry. I have an ultrasound in a couple weeks.

I have to stop taking the herbal formula. I'm still going to do acupuncture. Dr. Hong said she'll make sure that baby sticks! :0)

I have to up my thyroid medication. They said my hormones have to stay balanced to keep this baby growing. I will also continue the Metformin until I'm eight weeks. This will help with my insulin resistance.

I will see Dr. Figge until I'm 7 weeks. If the baby looks ok, I "graduated." I get to go to a regular OBGYN! They'll check me early for gestational diabetes because I'm more prone to it with the PCOS.

It still hasn't hit us yet. I kept feeling my stomach last night. I kept making sure every time I peed that I didn't see blood. We're going to take it a day at a time.

We decided to share with the world right away. Some may not support our decision and that's ok. We decided that if we kept it hush hush, we're already thinking we could lose the baby. We know my odds are good with my condition. We acknowledge that. That is why we're going to celebrate that life that I have right now inside of me. We're celebrating the fact that we conceived, something that was going to be an obstacle in the first place. We are going to do everything we can to keep this baby healthy, growing, and loved.

Words can't express how we feel right now. I am in shock. I am more in love with Nick than I have ever been. He has been my best friend since we were 15 year old kids in high school. I'm so honored to be his wife and share this life with our baby. I couldn't be any luckier or blessed. This is just the beginning of our new journey. This is the beginning of our dream. We'll continue to post because we want to savor every moment of this pregnancy, for I know it's not to be taken for granted. This was our gift from God. He blessed us before going through more complex fertility procedures. This baby is meant to be. I will thank God every day for this child in me.

I have to go to work. But thank you. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you. We couldn't have gotten through this without the hope and prayer of others. We couldn't have gotten through this without others' optimism. We couldn't have done this without your love and support. Thank you for praying with us. Please continue to do so. I would be devastated if we lost this baby, but I know there's a plan. I'm savoring every single moment of being pregnant.

Thank you.

Your Happy, Blessed, and Emotional, Crying Mess of Friends,

Lyndsey and Nick




My first chart with a + pregnancy blood test and test! My temps stayed up and didn't crash. I didn't have a period. I'm going to be a mommy!   

4 comments:

  1. SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU BOTH. LOTS OF LOVE AND PRAYERS!! WELL ALL BE PRAYING FOR YOU TILL THE LITTLE SHEHORN BABY ARRIVES

    ReplyDelete