A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...

A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...
And what a beautiful journey it is...

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

12 Weeks on 1-23-13

How Far Along: 12 weeks, 0 days

How Big is Baby: What to Expect When Expecting: "By now, your baby weighs a full half-ounce and is about the size of a large plum. Most of his systems are in place, though there's still plenty of maturing to do. For one thing, his fetal digestive system is beginning to practice contraction movements necessary for eating, and his bone marrow is busy making white blood cells — weapons against germs once he's out of your safe haven. The pituitary gland (at the base of the brain) has started producing the hormones that'll enable him (or her) to make babies of his (or her) own in a couple of decades or so. Learn more about your baby in week 12 and fetal organs and systems. This week marks a turning point for your baby. At 12 weeks pregnant, the herculean task of developing new bodily structures is nearing an end as most of your baby's systems are fully formed. Now comes the maintenance phase, during which your fetus' systems continue to mature for the next 28 weeks and the organs get to work. Your little fetus weighs as much as half an ounce now, and the crown-to-rump length is about two and a half inches (the size of a large plum — busily working his or her way through the whole produce department). It's hard to believe (especially from the outside, since you're probably barely showing at this point), but your baby has more than doubled in size during the past three weeks.  And that's just on the outside — there's plenty going on inside too. The fetal digestive system is beginning to flex its digestive muscle — literally — as it starts practicing contraction movements, a skill your baby will need after birth to push food through the digestive tract. The pituitary gland at the base of the brain has started producing hormones. And the bone marrow is making white blood cells, which will one day help your baby fight infection (including all those germs passed around the snot-nosed playgroup).  
If you haven't already had the pleasure, it's likely that at this month's checkup you'll finally hear your baby's fetal heartbeat — a sound that will make your heart race with joy!




Weight Gain/Loss: +1lb
Maternity Clothes: Not just yet, but I am planning on ordering some soon! Most of my pants no longer fit. I have to wear a button extender or stretchy band pants.

Stretch Marks: No (other than the ones I have always had)

Sleep: I'm trying very hard to sleep on my left side (every book or website encourages mothers to sleep on their left side for good blood flow to baby). I'm getting a bit better at it. I no longer wake up on my stomach so that's good.

Best Moment of the Week: I am sure it will be the appointment on Friday. We get to see baby one more time to check on the SCH. I can't wait to see how he/she has grown since 10 weeks!

Movement: No

Symptoms: I have a few waves of feeling icky once in a while, but other than that I feel pretty normal. I have occasional cramping and pain if I get up too fast or turn too quickly. My stomach has days that it feels like it's pulling and full.

Food Cravings: apples and BADLY wanting Tootie Frooties (chewy taffy candy I discovered that Farm and Fleet carried!)

Gender: We're getting closer and closer to finding out! The majority are calling Baby Shehorn a boy. Daddy still thinks we have a girl in there.

Anything Making You Queasy or Sick: I sometimes get overwhelmed with smells but that's about it. If I don't eat as soon as I'm hungry, I feel very sick to my stomach.
Labor Signs: No
Belly Button In or Out? In
Wedding Rings On or Off? On
Mood: Happy, Loved, Blessed, Hopeful
Looking Forward To: January 25th! We have an ultrasound to check on a subchorionic hemorrhage I was diagnosed with at 10w1d. The entire thing is smaller than 1cm so they're hopeful that everything will be ok. We're hoping to see that it has healed or stabilized. On a positive note, we get to take a look at Baby Shehorn again! This will be our last u/s until our 20week gender scan! I also can't wait until next week! I'll be in my second trimester!!!!!
Picture of Mommy-to-Be:


No comments:

Post a Comment