A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...

A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...
And what a beautiful journey it is...

Thursday, February 14, 2013

What?

I went in to the doctor today due to cramping that I had since yesterday (I had terrible lower back pain, pulling feelings, and cramps that shot down into my crotch) and labs showed I'm dehydrated, but not terribly. They called it something like one ketone was in my urine I thought? I looked it up of course on http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003585.htm and found out that ketones "build up when the body needs to break down fats and fatty acids to use as fuel. This is most likely to occur when the body does not get enough sugar or carbohydrates. A urine test can be done to check the level of ketones in your body." I guess dehydration can irritate the uterus and cause cramping. They are thinking that's what's going on.
We were shocked. I make it a point to drink about two gallons of water a day due to a scare in the beginning with the subchorionic hemorrhage. They told me I may not be eating enough or frequent small meals and that could cause dehydration. I thought I had that covered too. I felt terrible and bawled. Anyone know what I can drink besides water (and that's healthy and not full of fake junk) that helps to stay hydrated? I should have asked that question but I was so upset I didn't think to. Can I drink Pedilyte?
After they saw that I was dehydrated, they said the doctor wanted to see me. I didn't see my normal doctor. She told me she wanted to check my cervix to see if we needed an ultrasound for an incompetent cervix. She did a check on me and said that my cervix was nice and long and closed shut. THANK GOD! I have had a huge fear of having an incompetent cervix. I read about it long ago and the fear always stuck. 
 She told me to eat, keep drinking water, and to relax. They did a heart beat check on Baby Shehorn and sent me on my way.
 I bawled in the truck. Here people are telling me that I'm too paranoid, following the rules maybe too much, etc....and I'm not eating and/or drinking enough. I felt like the worst mother in the world. 
Now the fear will be gaining too much weight because you better believe I'm going to eat and drink more.  Hang in there kiddo. Keep growing! 

I'm freaking out because I have PCOS and I'm not diabetic but I have glucose intolerance/insulin resistance. From what I'm reading, ketones are present in the urine if you're in starvation mode which is NOT the case for me. It said they can be present when the body isn't doing what it should with sugars and carbs. It starts taking energy from stored fat cells. And I have lost a few pounds over the last couple days. I'm wondering if I'm starting to get gestational diabetes because they said it will be very likely with my condition.
  
I think I'll call tomorrow b/c the doctor that saw me tonight wasn't my normal OBGYN and has no clue of my condition.
 
Everything is ok, but it was just a bit scary. Please keep praying with us!  

Other links I used:
http://voices.yahoo.com/ketones-urine-symptoms-causes-treatments-1272073.html 

Another thought....

Maybe I AM drinking TOO much water? I was just reading that too much water can be bad for you. If you're drinking water nonstop, you're not giving your body time to take in electrolytes. More salt is also needed in the body. I did have some salty chips and a hard boiled egg (protein before bed) and it actually seemed to make my belly feel better. Maybe it's time to go back to the normal water consumption. Drinking a lot of water was my safety net or the SCH and it kinda turned into a habit. I thought I was being healthy but I guess you can have too much of a good thing? 

You live and you learn I guess. I'm just glad our baby is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment