I started up on Metformin today (500mg of ER). I'll be on this a month and it will probably be increased. My old OB put me on 1,500mg daily to help treat PCOS symptoms.
I decided to start Metformin for a few reasons. I count calories. I eat pretty well. I do have my days of eating garbage, but I still stay within my caloric goal. I got down to my pre pregnancy weight last month. Since then I have gained ten, lost the ten, gained four, lost seven, gained, lost, gained, lost. I'm currently battling these ten pounds. I also have swelling in my stomach one day and down the next. Metformin helped me lose a little weight before. I don't think I saw its full potential because I conceived Gavin and stopped Metformin at ten weeks pregnant. I'm hoping this will help jump start weight loss and help me lose weight when I actually try and put the effort in.
PCOS shouldn't be used as excuse for being overweight, but it is an excuse for why it's sooooo much harder for us (women with it) to lose it, and that much easier to gain. I want to be healthier for baby #2. I want to try to conceive with limited intervention for #2. This will be the first step. If you remember, this was the first step before, BUT now I'm [still] on thyroid with it (and my thyroid was slightly off according to the RE back then), and I have had a baby (which some claim helps). I don't know if there's any research to back that one up. Some people have secondary infertility. I'm not sure what I'll be. My hope is to conceive with no problems, and deliver another beautiful blessing (possibly by VBAC).
I'm very nervous. First and foremost, I know what side effects come with Metformin. The diarrhea is TERRIBLE. If I can get through a couple months of it, then it eventually chills out. Those FF gals of mine know what I'm talking about. I'm also not looking forward to the metallic taste and upset stomach. (No wonder some lose weight!)
I am looking forward to possible weight loss, HOPEFULLY regular cycles WITH ovulation, and fertility! I also look forward to less stress and pressure with trying to conceive number two. Who knows, I could be wrong. If Gavin is our only child, I'm ok with that. I asked God to make me a mommy, and he did! I want Gavin to have a sibling, or siblings, and I know I'd like to have at least one more child. Maybe it will be just as heartbreaking as before? I haven't been there yet. I keep telling myself there's no reason to worry. We have absolutely no reason to worry right now.
This time around, we know what to expect, we kinda know what we're doing, and we know we have support. Gavin takes a lot of time and energy. I don't think I'll have time to stress and worry!
Here's to preparing, hoping, and being scared sh*tless!

http://www.webmd.com/women/metformin-glucophage-for-polycystic-ovary-syndrome
http://youngwomenshealth.org/2014/02/25/metformin/
http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/polycystic-ovary-syndrome.html
Are you IR too? I am going to ask about going on Met, but I am not IR, so I don't know if it will do anything for my PCOS. It makes me nervous.
ReplyDeleteI am!
ReplyDelete