A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...

A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...
And what a beautiful journey it is...

Saturday, August 18, 2012

On to the Next One...

Yesterday morning, I hadn't received a response from my insurance, Dr. Lang (my regular OBGYN who has to be the one to refer me AGAIN to Figge), or Dr. Figge's office.

Nick and I decided to call Figge's office and let them know that I was probably starting my new cycle. I had to tell them because IF I were taking Clomid another month, I needed to order it before the third day of my cycle came.

I had to contact one of Figge's nurses on her cell phone. I hate that. I feel like a pain doing it. She was very sweet and pretty much gave me the game plan! Nick and I surprisingly...are eager and have hope.

For sure, month 14 of trying to conceive is a break month. We won't be using Clomid. Too much of it increases odds of cervical cancer and it thins the lining of my uterus, making a not-so-sure environment for a baby. She also said that statistically....if we would have reached pregnancy, it would have happened in the first three rounds of treatment. Month 14 will only involve the other medications. We can use an OPK if we want, but Nick and I decided we're not going to. I want to take a break from some of it. So...we plan on trying, but no testing for ovulation, no Clomid which means NO MOOD SWINGS/HOT FLASHES this month, and no making things turn into work. We'll try and if we get lucky, great.

During this month, we'll be meeting with Dr. Figge to discuss our next level of fertility treatment. I think I will be doing the dreaded HSG test to ensure my fallopian tubes aren't blocked and my uterus has no fibroids, endometriosis, odd shapes, etc. The game plan is more Clomid but a higher dose, but paired with artificial insemination (IUI). Nick and I are nervous but we know we can do it! We found out that WITHOUT insurance, the procedure for IUI is $371.00! This is doable! My insurance will cover this we think!

They said that the routine will work in the following manner:
-If my cycles are pretty regular (and they are), they will do an ultrasound on CD12 or CD13 to see how big my follicles are.
- If they seem mature enough and there aren't several (we don't want to risk conceiving five at once because of the obvious reason: my health and their health), they will give me a trigger shot/Nick will give me a trigger shot. Read about it here: http://www.justmommies.com/getting-pregnant/fertility-medications-and-natural-supplements/hcg-trigger-shot
- I will then come back the following day or two for the IUI, or artificial insemination. Many people jokingly call it turkey basting. They literally make sure Nick's boys are cleaned and they give them a head start by injecting through the cervix, into the uterus through a tube. This helps avoid a harsh environment that can kill them off before ever reaching my egg.
- I can then go back to life!

I found a quick link for IUI procedures and it doesn't seem too bad! http://www.ivfclinic.com/infertility-ivf/iui-india.html

Nick and I were both surprised with how optimistic we are. It's funny how things change. I remember crying at the thought of reaching this point. It's amazing what makes me happy in this process. If I survive the HSG, I'm not afraid of the IUI. It looks like this process will start by the end of September. We have been praying for all of the other couples out there that are going through this. I pray every day that we become a success story to share and give others the same hope that I receive from you! I'll be posting more as I learn what will be happening to us over the next few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you all during this stressful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! We appreciate this! We are so hopeful that it will work so I keep focusing on that part, rather than how stressful it is! We appreciate the prayers! I say some for you too! When you two are ready, I hope it happens right away for you!

      Delete