A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...

A Journey of HOPE and FAITH in one day sharing our love with our child...
And what a beautiful journey it is...

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Today's Visit with the OBGYN

I met with my OBGYN today. As always, it's so nice to see her. She looked at pictures of Gavin and asked me to share my trying to conceive history post throwing birth control out in April. I showed her my Fertility Friend charts and she noted the spotting a few days prior to each new cycle. She said she was ok with a couple days of spotting before starting, so she wasn't too alarmed just yet. She told me she thought I was ovulating by looking at my charts, was pleased with my weight loss, said my periods were regular, and that she felt we should give it two more months of trying on our own, making it six months trying to conceive.

She told me she did have script ready for Clomid because she too understands that there's a chance I may not be ovulating. I told her I trusted her advice, but I was ready to start Clomid. I reminded her that my RE looked at SIXTEEN straight months of data, showing beautiful charts, normal periods, etc only to find that I didn't ovulate. She said that was why she has no problem giving me Clomid due to my history.

She discussed that Clomid is much more effective with IUI, but I will not be doing IUI with them because they do not offer it. She said it's still very possible to conceive on Clomid alone, but the chances are greater when paired with that. I told her I'd be ready for IUI if this didn't work.

She went through the protocol of telling me I had an 8% chance of multiples, with a likelihood of twins. I acknowledged and accepted.

We agreed to follow my reproductive endocrinologist's past game plan of 50mg of Clomid on days 3-7 of my cycle. I should start my period tomorrow, as I began spotting when I got to the office (imagine that, huh?) She said I COULD still be pregnant because I did have a temp rise in my chart and I haven't started yet. I doubt it...I peed on a stick this morning. BFN! Those of you unfamiliar with the lingo- that's BIG FAT NEGATIVE. If my period starts tomorrow, I will be starting Clomid on Saturday. I am doing something, semi-new...

She also prescribed me vaginal progesterone suppositories. I used them once before when I begged my first OBGYN to give me something to save our first baby. I had begun my miscarriage and wanted to know that we had done everything to prevent it from happening. I used the suppositories and the baby held on (and even grew) for another week and a half.

She said on the slight chance that I'm having a low progesterone problem, this will help with that. I have to take it following a positive OPK and stay on it until a period begins or the second trimester of my pregnancy. This will ensure my lining stays nice and squishy for my baby to burrow in and grow. I'm supposed to start my OPKs on cycle day nine (a tad earlier than most) because my follicles were ready to roll on cycle day ten in the past. We don't want to miss our window.

She asked me how I felt. I told her the truth. I'm sad. I'm frustrated. I didn't want to have to go through all of this again. She told me to remember that my body was amazing and did conceive a baby and did keep a baby healthy for nine months. She told me to have hope and to trust her that everything would be ok. I guess I wanted to be able to do this "on my own" but I'm not willing to wait any longer. I know what we want and we know what works. I also told her that I wasn't super optimistic that this Clomid round wouldn't work because the first three didn't prior to Gavin. She reminded me that each round is different and to just get through this and to see what happens.

I know a FF of mine who conceived on Clomid alone (I think her first round, too). I'm going to think positive and embrace all of it...hot flashes, mood swings, and all!

Here's to drugs and hopefully getting knocked up!



2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I conceived both times with only 1 round, have faith! Prayers to you and your growing family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hill! You made a cameo in my post lol! I thought it was round one for you but wasn't sure. It does give me hope. I'm on week seven with the C25K app and in much better shape this time around. It could work!

    ReplyDelete